Jimmator Ruins The Day!

Rhymes with "Skeletor: Blues in the Way"

Friday, October 21, 2005

Jimmator Twiddles the Knobs of Weapon-X!

Many years ago I earmarked "synth showcase" recordings as an obsession to succumb to sometime in the future. Now might be that time.

What's a "synth showcase" recording, you ask? In my opinion, it's one of two things:

  1. A shameless marketing attempt to sell a particular piece of gear.

  2. A recording that is entirely (or at least mostly) created by using a single synthesizer/keyboard

Despite my tendancy to despise the brainwashing endeavors of most marketing divisions, I have to admit that in this instance I'll let 'em pass Go and collect. (I side with Captain Sarcastic: everyone is a hypocrite.) I like to hear how various people apply the same instrument in their work, especially in cases when you get vastly different results. And I'm a dweeb.

Currently, I own a whole ONE of this form of recording, which happens to be the At Home with the Groovebox compilation on Grand Royal that shows off the Roland Groovebox. But I continue to fill my head up with a list of recordings that I'd like to find.

For instance, there's the CD by Korg that has all sorts of celebrity keyboard players nerding out on their new (in 1991) O1/W:
The Best of the O1/W.

My friend's parents had a cassette tape of Star Wars soundtrack music performed by the Electric Moog Orchestra. I should have snatched that up like free doughnuts. I've seen it for sale on vinyl for $25.00. The EMO also released "Music from Close Encounters of the Third Kind". Anyone ever hear this stuff?

So if you discover any other Synth Showcase recordings, please pass the info along my way... and wow! If there's a Casio CZ series demo recording, I'd do downright disgusting things to acquire it!

Post practically re-written on 2006.06.29 because I'm a complete control freak.

2 Comments:

At 6:32 AM, Blogger ThursdayJava said...

Holy holy holy!
At Home with the Groovebox is THE BOMB, Jim. I don't know anyone else who owns this. Yaaaay!

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger Jimmator said...

Wondertwin Powers: Activate!

Probably the nerdiest track is the one by Sonic Youth: "Campfire." It's definitely a WTF moment at first: "they used space on this CD for THAT!?!?!" And then you think back to the days when Atari 2600 games had to approximate real-life sounds, like in Pitfall. That track is all about emulating the sound of a campfire with analog sounds... pretty impressive actually. I'd actually dig it if someone did sound design like that again for a modern videogame... but with the beefiness of something like the Groovebox.

Speaking of videogames... the track "Popcorn" by Gershon Kingsley was quite popular when originally released in '69... and was actually used as the music for the 80s arcade game "Pengo". (in one version, anyhow.) I know this because there's a Pengo machine in my garage. And because I spend a tad too much time on the net. Whoops.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home